If you have prostate cancer, you are not alone – approximately 175,000 men are diagnosed in the United States each year. The good news is that proton therapy can effectively treat almost all prostate cancer diagnoses while reducing or eliminating side effects.
- Unlike with radiation from other types of treatment such as IMRT, Tomotherapy, or Cyberknife, protons can be stopped inside the tumor.
- As a result, proton therapy decreases the risk of side effects such as erectile dysfunction and incontinence and allows patients to continue an active lifestyle during treatment.
- In some cases, proton therapy can offer higher overall survival outcomes than other radiation treatment.
PROTON THERAPY HAS PROVEN CLINICAL RESULTS
Cancer Free at 5 years:
- Low Risk Prostate Cancer – 99%
- Intermediate Risk Prostate Cancer – 94%
- High Risk Prostate Cancer – 74%
Side Effects and Overall Survival Versus IMRT:
- 21% – 25% reduction in urinary, sexual, and bladder related side effects
- 6% increase in overall survival